Mission and Program Aims
Our residents are held to high standards which align with our Sponsoring Institution's (DHR Health) mission to improve the well-being of those we serve with a commitment to excellence: every patient, every encounter, every time. DHR's vision is to create a world-class health system to advance medicine and increase access for our communities by empowering caregivers to heal through compassion, knowledge, innovation, integrated care, and excellence. DHR CARES defines our values: Compassion, Accountability, Responsibility, and Excellence through Knowledge, Safety, and Social Conscience. The mission of the DHR Health Residency Program is to prepare residents to be complete urologists with the skills to excel in practice or in the pursuit of further training as a subspecialist, and to become leaders in the community and the profession.
DHR Health Urology Residency Program Objectives:
- To provide exemplary medical and surgical care, treating all patients who come before us with uncompromising dedication and skill.
- To set and pursue the highest goals for ourselves as we learn the science, craft, and art of medicine.
- To passionately teach our junior residents and learners as we have been taught by those who preceded us.
- To treat our colleagues and hospital staff with kindness, respect, generosity of spirit, and patience.
- To foster the excellence and well-being of our residency program by generously offering our time, talent, and energy on its behalf.
- To support and contribute to our research mission by pursuing new knowledge at the bench or bedside.
- To promote the translation of the latest scientific knowledge to the bedside to improve our understanding of disease pathogenesis and ensure that all patients receive the most scientifically appropriate and up-to-date care.
- To promote responsible stewardship of medical resources by wisely selecting diagnostic tests and treatments, recognizing that our individual decisions impact our patients and patients everywhere.
- To promote social justice by advocating for equitable health care without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, social status, or ability to pay.
- To extend our talents outside the walls of our hospitals and clinics to promote the health and well-being of communities, locally and nationally.
- To serve as proud ambassadors for the mission of the DHR Health Urology Program for the remainder of our professional lives.
- Commitment to the under- and uninsured individuals of our community.
The DHR Health Urology Residency Programs’ aim is to offer an innovative training program that trains residents, using progressive responsibility under supervision leading to graduated autonomy and mentorship. We train residents who will become leaders in urology, education, research, and/or administration.
Goals of the DHR Health Urology Residency Program include:
- Training our residents to become urologists for all populations of patients – in rural, under-represented, and other unique environments – for complex or undifferentiated patient problems.
- Creating an educational environment that fosters scholarly activities emphasizing quality improvement, research, and community health to benefit the program, community, and hospital system.
- Promoting a nurturing and collaborative atmosphere that encourages resident well-being, personal growth, and camaraderie.
- Recruiting and developing exemplary faculty and residents with a passion for teaching, service, and commitment to continuous improvement.
- Acquiring a superior knowledge of the etiology and treatment of urologic conditions in interpersonal communication, professionalism, system-based practices, and surgical abilities.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
DHR Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) that embraces diversity, equity and inclusion. We know that diverse and inclusive teams have a positive impact, by generating varied perspectives and in turn better ideas to solve complex problems. We are committed to building a team with a variety of backgrounds, skills and views, by ensuring fair treatment, access, opportunity, and advancement for all residents, faculty, and staff. We strive to identify and eliminate barriers that have prevented the full participation of some groups, due to race, ethnicity, language, culture, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, socioeconomic status, physical or mental disability, and others.
We appreciate the unique abilities and perspectives of our diverse workforce and community. By creating an environment where faculty, physicians, residents, fellows, and staff can be their true selves at work without fear of judgment, we aim to foster creativity, raise productivity, and improve organizational performance. We believe that all our faculty, physicians, residents/fellows, and staff play the critical role in the overall success of the organization and the vision we have for our community. We create a sense of belonging at the workplace, where employees are appreciated for their unique contributions, recognized for their accomplishments, supported in their career goals, and have a sense of connection to how they are positively impacting their community.
Through community partnerships, we generate transformation within our institution as a means of advocating for better care for our patients, creating a more diverse physician workforce, and serving our community. We strive to promote social justice by advocating for equitable health care, without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, social status, or ability to pay. We are committed to an organizational culture that will connect our residents and fellows to the organization; encourage collaboration, flexibility and fairness; and leverage diversity throughout the organization, so that all residents and fellows will be able to participate and contribute to their full potential.
DHR Health recruits resident/fellow applicants underrepresented in medicine (UIM) for advancement of diversity, equity, and inclusion. The DHR Health GME Diversity Committee is included in all planning phases of faculty and resident/fellow recruitment, selection, and retention and includes hospital leaders, GME representatives, and residents/fellows.